Sunday, March 9, 2014

A 6th New Hampshire gallery (part 2)

Here are more faces of the leaders of the 6th New Hampshire Volunteers. They include Henry H. Pearson and Phin Bixby, each of whom commanded the regiment after Simon G. Griffin became a general. (Part one of this gallery is here.)

Capt. Matthew N. Greenleaf of Exeter was badly wounded during the mine explosion at the Crater in
Petersburg, Va., on July 30, 1864. Discharged disabled, he returned to the 6th in May of 1865.

Thomas H. Dearborn of Seabrook
enlisted at 18.and rose to captain.
He left the 6th in 1864 when
 his three-year term expired.
William H. Keay of Dover, a Canadian
by birth, served with the 6th till war's
end. He was wounded severely at both
Fredericksburg and Petersburg.

Omar W. Cate of Holderness, N.H. was 18 when he joined the regiment. By early 1864 he had
become the quartermaster sergeant. He mustered out July 17, 1865, and later lived in Chicago.

Charles W. Thurston joined the 6th New Hampshire in 1861 as a 22-year-old private from
Stoddard, N.H. He was wounded twice, at Fredericksburg and the Crater, and captured
at Poplar Springs Church, Va., on Sept. 30, 1864. With the New York Tribune correspondent
  Albert D. Richardson and others, Thurston escaped from Salisbury prison. He returned to
his regiment and was promoted to lieutenant. A fuller account of his escape is here

Twenty-two-year-old Henry H. Pearson of Exeter
was captain of Co. C. He was wounded at Bull
Run on Aug. 29, 1862. Nearly two years later,
he had just risen to command of the regiment
when he was shot and killed a the North Anna
River during Grant's overland campaign in
in Virginia. You can read more of Pearson's
story here.     
John A. Platts of Fitzwilliam, N.H., was
wounded at Antietam. He later served as
commissary sergeant and lieutenant.  
Lyman Jackman of Woodstock, N.H.,
survived a wound  at Bull Run and
capture at Poplar Springs Church. After
the war he wrote the 6th's history.  

Phineas P. Bixby, a Concord merchant, rose to be colonel of the 6th
New Hampshire in 1865. Along the way he was captured at Second
Bull Run,, released in October 1862 as part of a prisoner exchange
and wounded twice at Petersburg,, once severely.

No comments:

Post a Comment