Tuesday, February 19, 2013

One of the most sacred places on the Gettysburg battlefield

My friend Dave Sullivan sends this photograph to complement my post the other day on the unidentified New Hampshire soldiers at Gettysburg. The task of finding and identifying the bodies after three days of fighting there was monumental. Most likely all the men buried here were killed on July 2, 1863, and served in the 2nd, 5th and 12th New Hampshire regiments. As anyone who has ever been to the battlefield knows, the section with the mass graves by state is one of the most moving places there.

1 comment:

  1. Very powerful. I used a photo of this stone for many years in my Civil War units at Lebanon High School. I would hold it up and ask what it meant. Usually after a few responses, a student would explain what it meant and that always led to few moments of silence!

    ReplyDelete